The Mozambique government has approved the development plan for the Golfinho-Atum natural gas field in the Area 1 block located in the Rovuma Offshore Basin of Mozambique. Anadarko Petroleum Corporation is the operator of the project, with 26.5 per cent participating interest, and the other concessionaires in the project are Mitsui (20 per cent), ENH (15 per cent), BREML (Beas Rovuma Energy Mozambique Ltd) (10 per cent), BPRL (Bharat Petro Resources Ltd) (10 per cent), ONGC Videsh Ltd (10 per cent) and PTT Exploration and Production Public Company Ltd (PTTEP) (8.5 per cent).
A company statement said Oil India Ltd is a sponsor in the Area 1 Block through its 40 per cent shareholding in BREML. The remaining 60 per cent shares in BREML are held by ONGC Videsh Ltd. The Area 1 block located in the deep-water Rovuma Basin is one of the largest gas discoveries in offshore East Africa, with estimated recoverable resources of approximately 75 trillion cubic feet. The approval of the Development Plan is the culmination of several years of progress on technical and commercial aspects of the development, the statement added.
The Golfino Atum Project will be Mozambique’s first onshore LNG development. The plan outlines the integrated development of the Golfinho-Atum field through an initial two-train onshore liquefaction plant with a total processing capacity of 12.88 million tonnes per annum (mtpa). This foundational project paves the way for a significant future expansion of up to 50 mtpa from Offshore Area 1. The project will also supply initial volumes of approximately 100 million cubic feet of natural gas per day, for domestic sales in Mozambique.
Source: The Hindu Business Line